Lake Nicaragua (Lake Cocibolca)
The best way to see Lake Nicaragua is on a boat tour from Managua. You can combine a cruise on the lake with a tour of the Granada city highlights. You can also take a boat tour of the Granada Islets, a scattering of 365 tiny islands formed by the eruption of the Mombacho Volcano and a haven for exotic birds or visit the lake’s largest island, Ometepe.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Lake Nicaragua is also known as Lake Cocibolca, Lake Granada and the Sweet Sea.
- Despite being a freshwater lake, Lake Nicaragua is home to oceanic life such as sharks and swordfish.
- Lake Nicaragua boat tours are not generally wheelchair accessible; it’s best to inquire in advance.
How to Get There
Lake Nicaragua is located in southwestern Nicaragua near the Costa Rican border. Many travelers visit the lake from Granada, which is 25 miles (40 kilometers) southeast of Managua and easily accessible by bus. The cities of San Carlos, San Jorge, and San Miguelito also provide good access to the lake.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Nicaragua is during the dry season between November and April. The busiest time to visit is over the holidays and in February and March. Expect stifling heat in May and heavy rains in September and October, but cheaper prices on accommodations and tours during these months.
Visiting Ometepe Island Formed by two volcanoes rising out of Lake Nicaragua, Ometepe Island is one of Nicaragua’s most visited tourist destinations. The island is easily reached via a port near Rivas or you can fly to the island directly from Managua. Once on the island, you can enjoy a range of outdoor activities from hiking, fishing, kayaking, and cycling as well as exploring the island’s many colorful villages and archeological sites.
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in San Juan del Sur
- Things to do in Ometepe
- Things to do in Costa Rica
- Things to do in Panama
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Ometepe Island (Isla de Ometepe)
- Islets of Granada (Las Isletas de Granada)
- Mombacho Volcano
- Calle La Calzada
- Hacienda El Progreso
- Granada Cathedral
- San Francisco Convent (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- House of Three Worlds (Casa de los Tres Mundos)
- Mi Museo
- Iglesia de la Merced
- San Juan de Oriente
- Apoyo Lagoon Natural Reserve (Laguna de Apoyo)
- Masaya Volcano