Long Son Pagoda (Chua Long Son)
First built in 1886 and an important center for Vietnamese Buddhism, the Long Son Pagoda has been rebuilt many times over the years, most recently in 1990. The 46-foot (14-meter) white Buddha dates back to 1964, and his 33-foot (10-meter) pedestal is decorated with pictures of burning monks who sacrificed themselves to protest the tyranny of the American-backed South Vietnamese regime. Most every Nha Trang city tour and shore excursion includes a stop here and a guide can really enhance the experience—not least by shooing away scammers and aggressive vendors.
Things to know before you go
- There’s no charge to visit the Long Son Pagoda.
- The pagoda is a place of worship. Please dress modestly, covering shoulders, upper arms, and legs to the knees.
- Sadly, Long Son Pagoda is a mecca for grifters and hustlers. If you want to donate to the monks, put your money in the marked donation boxes.
- Steps mean the pagoda is not accessible with wheelchairs or strollers.
How to get there
Long Son Pagoda sits in the heart of Nha Trang, about a 5-minute walk west of the train station.
When to get there
The pagoda is open seven days a week but closes in the middle of the day for a lengthy lunch break. Visit early in the week for a less crowded experience.
Where Are the Best Views in Nha Trang?
Long Son Pagoda’s Big Buddha can be seen from across Nha Trang, but his hilltop position offers sweeping city views as well. For views of the ocean and the rugged coastline, visit Hon Chong, a narrow granite promontory framed by blue waters, or board the Vinpearl Cable Car for a thrilling 2-mile (3-kilometer) ride over the sea to Vinpearl Land on Hon Tre Island.
- Things to do in Central Vietnam
- Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Dam Market (Cho Dam)
- Nha Trang Beach
- Stone Church (Nha Tho Nui)
- Thap Ba Hot Springs
- XQ Historical Village
- Hon Chong
- Po Nagar Cham Towers
- National Oceanographic Museum of Vietnam
- 100 Egg Theme Park (Khu Du Lich Tram Trung)
- Hon Mieu Island
- Vinpearl Land Nha Trang
- Nha Phu Bay
- Hon Mun Island
- Hon Ba Nature Reserve (Khu Bao Ton Thien Nhien Hon Ba)