Built by British Loyalists who had just returned from North Carolina, the buildings were inspired by those in the US state’s old capital city. Located behind the Supreme Court building, the Garden of Remembrance honors Bahamian soldiers who lost their lives. The government center is within walking distance from the main cruise ship ports, as well as numerous shops and restaurants, making it a perfect stop to learn a bit of history while touring the town. Guided tours of Nassau typically pass through Parliament Square.
Things to know before you go
- The square is a must-see for history buffs and architecture lovers.
- The pink building in the center is the Senate; the building on the right is the House of Assembly, where both houses meet; and the building on the left is the office of the opposition leader.
- The square is located a few blocks from Nassau’s popular Straw Market.
How to get there
Parliament Square is located on Bay Street across from Rawson Square and is within walking distance from many points in downtown Nassau. It’s also easily reachable by foot from the cruise ship terminal. From the Atlantis, it’s about a 15-minute drive. Guided tours typically provide round-trip transportation, but you can also rent scooters and all-terrain vehicles to get around on your own.
When to get there
When quarterly sessions begin at the House of Assembly—typically in January, April, July, and October—you can spot the judges wearing traditional British wigs and robes walking around the square. You can also sit in the gallery and watch the proceedings when the sessions are in progress. Overall, expect to encounter the biggest crowds when cruise ships are docked.
Pirates of Nassau
Located within easy walking distance of Parliament Square, the Pirates of Nassau museum offers a look at a different historical side to Nassau—when it was an 18th-century pirate base. The attraction includes artifacts, as well as replica ships from the Golden Age of Piracy, which took place from 1690 to 1720.
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Florida
- Junkanoo Expo Museum
- Nassau Cruise Port
- Straw Market
- Queen's Staircase
- Christ Church Cathedral
- Fort Fincastle
- Heritage Museum of the Bahamas
- Pirates of Nassau
- National Art Gallery of the Bahamas (NAGB)
- Nassau Public Library & Museum
- Rose Island
- Marine Habitat at Atlantis
- Aquaventure at Atlantis Paradise Island
- Atlantis, Paradise Island
- Arawak Cay