Trace the development of painting from the Middle Ages to the Rococo era with a visit to the Old Pinakothek. See a range of artistic styles including paintings by Raphael, Botticelli, Rembrandt, and Velasquez. This art museum can be reached with a stop on the hop-on hop-off bus tour and is part of programs like Munich City Pass that offer admission to several attractions for one price.
Things to know before you go
- The Old Pinakothek is a must-see attraction for travelers interested in art and art history or families seeking educational experiences
- Admission is free for anyone under 18 years old.
- An audio guide for the permanent collection is included in the admission fee.
- The museum is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Located in the Kunstareal district of Munich, the Old Pinakothek is found at Barer Strasse 27. It is easily accessible by public transportation; take the U-Bahn to Königsplatz, Theresienstrasse, or Odeonsplatz. The museum can also be reached by taking the tram to Pinakotheken. Parking is not available at the museum.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, but closed on Tuesdays, and charges a reduced entry fee of one euro on Sundays. For the most peaceful experience, visit during the morning hours on a weekday. First-time visitors to Munich may want to plan their visit around the hectic weeks of Oktoberfest, from the end of September to the beginning of October.
Online Art Collection
Visitors to the museum may want to check out the online art collection. Several galleries in Munich and beyond in Bavaria have made their collections available online, totaling over 25,000 artworks. It’s now possible to check out art online and identify its location within the museum before a visit.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- New Pinakothek (Neue Pinakothek)
- King's Square (Königsplatz)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)