Munich’s beer gardens are world famous but few offer such idyllic surroundings as the Andechs brewery, housed in the historic Andechs Monastery, 40km southwest of the city. Dating back to 1392, the Benedictine Abbey is perched atop the Holy Mountain of Heiliger Berg and overlooks the glittering Lake Ammersee. The Abbey’s beautifully preserved cloister is its oldest feature, but the architectural highlight is its striking Baroque church, remodeled in 1712, and climbing the church tower offers dramatic views over the Ammersee valley.
A place of pilgrimage since the Middle Ages, the monastery is also famous for its adjourning brewery, which has been brewing traditional Bavarian beers since 1455 and continues to produce 7 different beer varieties. A popular day trip from nearby Munich, visitors to the Abbey can tuck into a meal at the monastery restaurant, sip a stein of Andechser Doppelbock, Andechs’ trademark dark beer, or even tour the working brewery.
Tours and tickets to Experience Andechs Monastery
What are Andechs Monastery hours of operation?
Should I book Andechs Monastery tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Andechs Monastery 2021?
What's the best way to experience Andechs Monastery?
- EXCLUSiVE MUNiCH & Surroundings ALL-IN-ONE Culture, Nature and History Tour
- VW Beetle Cabrio Tour to the baroque jewels of Bavaria
- Kloster Andechs Private Tour
Things to do near Munich
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Regensburg
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria