A stop at Mount Royal Park is commonly included on Montreal sightseeing tours and on hop-on hop-off bus tours, but the site can also be explored thoroughly on a midday stroll, picnic lunch, or as part of guided nighttime tours. E-bike (electric bike) and walking tours are popular options no matter the season, and in winter, travelers can traverse the snowy terrain and try ice skating, snowshoeing, or tubing.
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear sturdy walking shoes, as some of the paths in the park are narrow and uneven.
Montreal can be extremely cold during winter; a hat, gloves, scarf, winter boots and an appropriate winter coat are a must if you visit during this period.
Bring a refillable water bottle and make use of the fountains dotted around the park.
How to Get There
Mont Royal is located in the Ville-Marie borough of Montreal. Ride the 80, 435, or 129 bus to the Sir George Etienne Cartier Monument and make the 30-minute uphill walk to the top. To avoid the trek, take the 11 bus from Mont-Royal metro station to Lac aux Castors (Beaver Lake) and walk from there.
When to Get There
Mont Royal is a four-season attraction, providing you are properly prepared; be sure to wrap up warmly during winter. On summer Sundays, the park hosts what are known as Tam Tams, informal festival-like gatherings with a drum circle and dancing. Fall is perhaps the most scenic time to visit, as the park’s maple and oak trees turn lovely shades of red, orange, and gold.
Top Things to See at Mount Royal
Mont Royal has several must-see spots, most notably the 1932 stone Chalet du Mont-Royal and the adjacent Kondiaronk Lookout. Not far from here are the landmark Mount Royal Cross, which is illuminated at night, and Beaver Lake (Lac des Castors), which serves as an ice-skating rink in winter. If you want more information about the park, the mid-19th-century Smith House (Maison Smith) has displays on the park’s habitats and wildlife. The eastern lookout, Observatoire de l’Est, affords another perspective across the city.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Mount Royal Cemetery (Cimetière Mont-Royal)
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts)
- Montreal Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanique de Montréal)
- Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)
- Dorchester Square (Le Square Dorchester)
- McCord Museum
- Les Cours Mont-Royal
- Grevin Museum (Musée Grévin Montréal)
- Montreal Underground City
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal (L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal)
- Plateau-Mont-Royal (the Plateau)
- Mile End