Montreal Insectarium (Insectarium de Montréal)
The Montreal Insectarium and Botanical Gardens are situated on the same site, and one entrance ticket provides access to both attractions. Inside the Insectarium, exhibits include informational plaques and are designed to be explored independently. Families with young children will want to visit the outdoor play and discovery area, known as the BuzzGround. Some Montreal sightseeing passes include access to the Insectarium and Botanical Gardens.
Things to Know Before You Go
Montreal Insectarium is a must for children and anyone with an interest in entomology.
The Insectarium is part of the Space for Life, a natural science museum complex that includes the Biodome, the Botanical Gardens, and the Planetarium Rio Tinto Alcan.
Space for Life offers amenities including dining areas, cloakrooms, and water fountains.
The Insectarium is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Montreal Insectarium is situated in the Olympic Park, right next to the Montreal Botanical Gardens, the Biodome, and the Montreal Tower. The nearest metro stop is Pie-IX (Green Line), a 10- to 15-minute walk away.
When to Get There
If you plan on combining a visit to the Insectarium with a trip to the neighboring Botanical Gardens, it’s best to go during summer or fall, as most of the outdoor gardens are blanketed in snow in winter and early spring.
Butterflies Go Free
Among the highlights of the Insectarium’s calendar is the annual Butterflies Go Free event, which takes place each spring. Visitors walk through a warm greenhouse and watch more than 50 species of colorful and beautifully patterned butterflies flutter around, perch on the surrounding greenery, feed on fruits, and occasionally land on guests’ outstretched hands.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Montreal Tower (La Tour de Montréal)
- Montreal Biodome (Biodome de Montreal)
- Montreal Olympic Park (Parc Olympique de Montréal)
- La Fontaine Park (Parc La Fontaine)
- Montreal Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin)
- Plateau-Mont-Royal (the Plateau)
- Jean-Talon Market (Marché Jean-Talon)
- Mile End
- Montreal Little Italy
- Montreal Biosphere (la Biosphère)
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Montreal Chinatown