Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
Montreal City Hall is one of many landmark historic buildings in Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal). Walking tours of this part of the city often take participants to Montreal City Hall, as well as to Notre-Dame Basilica, Bonsecours Market, Place d’Armes, and Place Jacques-Cartier. Guided tours of Montreal City Hall are available on a walk-in basis at select times throughout the year, and include access to the council chamber, the terrace, and the mayor’s gallery. Visitors can also explore parts of the building, including the Hall of Honor, independently.
Things to Know Before You Go
Montreal City Hall is a must for politicos and anyone with an interest in Quebec history.
Access to some parts of the building, such as the council chamber, can be restricted depending on the government’s schedule of events.
Montreal City Hall can be accessed by wheelchair via the Gosford Street entrance.
How to Get There
Montreal City Hall is in Old Montreal, near the north end of Place Jacques-Cartier. The closest Metro station is Champ-de-Mars, which is served by the Orange Line.
When to Get There
If you want to do a tour, come on a weekday in summer, when tours run most frequently. In winter, tours take place only once a week. If you’re in the area at night, consider passing by the building just to see it from the outside—it’s beautifully illuminated after dark.
Architectural Features and Artworks
Built in French Second Empire style, Montreal City Hall is rich with ornate architectural and decorative details, from turrets and mansard roofs to chandeliers and stained-glass windows. City Hall also holds a collection of about 150 artworks, including portraits of former Montreal mayors, paintings, sculptures, tapestries, and photographs by contemporary Quebec artists.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
- Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Montreal Chinatown
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Montreal Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin)