Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
Few places evoke the historic, European-influenced flavor of Old Montreal quite like Jacques-Cartier Square. Myriad walking tours of Old Montreal, both private and group tours, stop at the square, as well as other nearby attractions including Notre-Dame Basilica, St. Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul), and the waterfront Old Port (Vieux-Port). Tours by coach introduce visitors to the square, as well as highlighting other Montreal sights, such as Montreal Chinatown, Mount Royal (Mont-Royal), and the Olympic Stadium.
Things to Know Before You Go
Jacques-Cartier Square is a good spot for a coffee, glass of wine, or lunch, with several open-air cafes and restaurants situated around its perimeter.
The square is pedestrianized, meaning you can wander without worrying about traffic.
Jacques-Cartier Square is mostly wheelchair accessible, although the inclined surface may pose problems to manual wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Jacques-Cartier Square is situated in Old Montreal, stretching for two blocks from Montreal City Hall down to the waterfront. The nearest metro station is Champ-de-Mars (Orange Line), which is about five minutes away on foot.
When to Get There
Jacques-Cartier Square is at its best in summer when restaurants and cafes around the square open up their outdoor terraces, and musicians and street performers come hoping to earn their keep. The square is also atmospheric during the Christmas season, with festive lights strung on the surrounding trees and snow often on the ground.
The Nelson Monument
Towering over the top of Jacques-Cartier Square is Nelsonâs Column monument, which was erected in 1809. Unusual for this Francophone city, the monument pays homage to a British rather than a French hero: Admiral Horatio Nelson. Admiral Nelson was killed during the Battle of Trafalgar, in which the English were victorious over French and Spanish forces.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Montreal Chinatown
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Montreal Underground City
- Two Days in Montreal
- Wine Tasting in Montreal
- Montreal Walking and Tram Tours
- Haunted Montreal
- Wine and Beer Tasting in Montreal
- Haunted Montreal
- Quebec City Day Trips From Montreal
- Things to Do in Montreal This Winter
- How to Spend 3 Days in Montreal
- How to Spend 1 Day in Montreal
- How to Spend 2 Days in Montreal