Stone Island (Isla de la Piedra)
Stone Island is a common Mazatlán full- or half-day trip destination and many excursions to Isla de la Piedra include sightseeing tours of Mazatlán’s Old Town—ideal for time-pressed travelers—or stops at El Faro lighthouse. Tours typically build in adventure activities, but independent travelers can also arrange horseback riding, snorkeling, and even mangrove visits upon arrival to Stone Island. Otherwise, Stone Island is a great place to collect seashells, relax under palapas while enjoying fresh seafood, or sip ice-cold beers in hammocks.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Stone Island is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of other Mazatlán beaches.
- Most tours include round-trip transportation to Stone Island for ease.
- Pack small bills and coins to pay the beach vendors and restaurant owners.
- Take sneakers if you plan to go horseback riding on Stone Island.
- Stone Island is not fully wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Situated just across the water from the Port of Mazatlán, Stone Island is easy to reach from Mazatlán proper. Inexpensive motorboats (‘pangas’) run regularly from the Embarcadero de la Piedra (Stone Dock) to Stone Island throughout daylight hours. Stone Island is also a shore excursion destination and those tours typically offer convenient round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
Stone Island is accessible year-round, but most excursions take place during daylight hours. Stone Island is a popular shore excursion destination for cruise passengers at the weekend, which is also when local visitors tend to stop by too. Visit midweek for a quieter experience and remember the sand can get very hot during summer.
Other Mazatlán Day Trips Stone Island is one of the most convenient day trips visitors can take from Mazatlán, but it’s not the only one. Food lovers should take an excursion to El Quelite, a small Sinaloan village that played a key role in the Mexican Revolution. Meanwhile, mezcal fans may prefer to stop by La Noria. This historic town is known for the smoky spirit, as well as artisanal leather goods.
- Old Mazatlan (Centro Historico) Tours & Tickets
- Angela Peralta Theater (Teatro Angela Peralta) Tours & Tickets
- Plazuela Machado Tours & Tickets
- Golden Zone (Zona Dorada) Tours & Tickets
- Estero Del Yugo Nature Preserve Tours & Tickets
- Stone Island (Isla de la Piedra) Tours & Tickets
- Mazatlan Lighthouse (El Faro) Tours & Tickets