The Lowry Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Consistently one of Manchester’s most-visited attractions, the Lowry is a visual and performing arts center that houses three theaters, plus galleries and other public spaces. Opened in 2000 and dedicated by the Queen of England, the Lowry has played a significant role in the regeneration of the city’s Salford Quays area.
Arguably Manchester’s premier cultural destination, the Lowry hosts theatrical and dance performances, circus and comedy shows, and much more. Named in honor of Manchester artist L.S. Lowry, the venue also displays a permanent collection of his paintings in addition to changing temporary exhibitions.
The Lowry’s proximity to the Imperial War Museum North, Old Trafford Stadium, and other Salford Quays highlights makes it simple to combine a visit with other area sights. The building itself, known for its distinctive architecture and waterside setting, is also worth viewing on a speedier, whistle-stop tour of the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Lowry’s Lyric Theatre is the country’s largest stage outside of London.
- The Lowry hosts audio-described performances and gallery tours, as well as British Sign Language–interpreted events, which can be requested when booking.
- Pier Eight, the Lowry’s in-house bar and restaurant, has been an esteemed Manchester dining destination since opening in 2015 and also hosts pretheater dining options.
How to Get There
The Lowry is easily accessible from central Manchester. If traveling by Metrolink, take the Eccles line to the MediaCityUK tram station. The 50 and 53 bus lines additionally stop nearby. If driving, take the M60 to junction 12 for the M602, which connects to the Salford Quays; paid parking is available at the Lowry Outlet.
When to Get There
The Lowry’s building is open daily 10am–6pm, later if there is a theatrical performance or other major event. Note that the box office, gallery, and Pier Eight restaurant all have varying opening hours. The Lowry hosts an ever-changing calendar of performances, exhibitions, and other events; be sure to research before you travel and book advanced tickets to events that interest you.
The Lowry Outlet
For those who want to couple their culture with some retail therapy, the Lowry Outlet is located just steps away from the arts venue. Manchester’s only outlet mall, it offers discounts of up to 70% on a range of popular high-street brands and also hosts a movie theater and various eateries.
Address: Pier 8, Salford Quays, Manchester M50 3AZ, England
0 Tours and Activities to Experience The Lowry
No results found!
Things to do near Manchester
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in North East England