Bellecour Square (Place Bellecour) Tours
At the heart of Lyon is Bellecour Square—more commonly known as Place Bellecour—an enormous, unbroken brick expanse (the third largest square in France) sprawled between the Saône and the Rhône Rivers. These are echoed by two sculptures, named for the waterways, that flank a famed statue of Louis the X1V, on horseback.
The Sun King, in 1708, took this former vineyard, army barracks, and private gardens, and developed it into a public square. His architects framed the space with elegant facades, and it has since hosted public events and, more recently, an iconic Ferris wheel.
The shadeless plaza is surrounded by excellent eateries and cool cafés - Lyon is, after all, the Gastronomic Capital of France - w here you'll find respite on steamy summer afternoons.
Place Bellecour is the "Beautiful Heart" of Lyon, and marks kilometer 0, from which all distances are measured. It is served by Metro Lines A and D, which cross at the Bellecour stop.
23 Tours and Activities to Experience Bellecour Square (Place Bellecour)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon
- Northern Rhône Valley Cheese & Wine Tasting Half Day Tour from Lyon
- Discover Lyon in an Unusual Way
- Northern Rhône Valley Wine Half Day Tour from Lyon
Things to do near Lyon
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Interlaken
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Lake Geneva