Ramesseum (Mortuary Temple of Ramses II)
While the Ramesseum is not as well preserved as nearby Medinet Habu (Temple of Ramses III), its huge statues, pylons, columns, and hieroglyphics invite exploring. The Ramesseum is an included stop on some West Bank tours or can be combined with Medinet Habu on a half-day trip. For a more in-depth experience, opt for a tour that focuses on the Ramesseum exclusively, ensuring plenty of time to find the site’s remarkable details.
Things to know before you go
- The temple is a must-visit for history buffs and fans of ancient Egypt.
- Bring a sun hat and protective clothing, as the site has little shade.
- The Ramesseum is not wheelchair-accessible.
How to get there
The Ramesseum is located on the Luxor West Bank, close to top sites that include Medinet Habu, the Temple of Hatshepsut, the Valley of the Nobles, and the Valley of the Kings. If you’re visiting the Ramesseum on a tour, transportation will be taken care of; for those traveling on their own, it’s a 40-minute taxi ride from downtown Luxor.
When to get there
As with other West Bank sites, a morning visit is best for comfortable temperatures. The most popular time to visit Luxor is during the cooler winter months. Brave the hot summer, however, and you might even have the Ramesseum to yourself—the low season means far fewer crowds throughout Luxor.
The Ramesseum in Ozymandias
Once known as the “Tomb of Ozymandias” or the “Memnonium,” the Ramesseum was an inspiration for the poem Ozymandias, by Percy Shelley. Find the Colossus of Ramses II, which appears in the poem, scattered on the ground by the western stairs. “My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,” wrote Shelley, “Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
- Things to do in Safaga
- Things to do in Aswan
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Marsa Alam
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Abu Simbel
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Colossi of Memnon
- Deir el-Medina (Valley of the Artisans)
- Valley of the Nobles (Tombs of the Nobles)
- Temple of Hatshepsut (at Deir el-Bahari)
- Medinet Habu (Temple of Ramses III)
- Tomb of Ramses III
- Tomb of Ramses VI
- Valley of the Kings
- Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Tomb of Merneptah (Merenptah)
- Mummification Museum
- Luxor Museum
- Avenue of Sphinxes
- Luxor Temple
- Karnak Temple