Luxor Temple Tours and Activities
The enormous Luxor Temple was one of the great constructions of the New Kingdom (dating from the 14th century BC) dedicated to the god Amun. It was known as the “Southern Sanctuary” and was the site of ceremonies aimed at encouraging the life-giving Nile floods.
Once through the processional Avenue of Sphinxes you come to the First Pylon, which announces the phenomenal scale of the stonework here: statues, columns and obelisks all compete with each other in a race to the sky.
Ensuing civilizations have also left their marks: there’s a shrine erected by Alexander the Great, Roman wall frescoes as well as a 14th century AD mosque, ensuring this remains a place of worship in the present day.
The modern city of Luxor grew up around the Temple on the east bank of the Nile, making it one of the most readily accessible sites. It makes a great visit in the relative cool of the evening, when the complex is dramatically flood-lit.
718 Tours and Activities to Experience Luxor Temple
Frequently Asked Questions
- Karnak And Luxor Temples Private Tour
- Full Day Tour to East and West Banks of Luxor
- 4-Days 3-Nights Cruise From Aswan To Luxor including Abu Simbel Hot Air Balloon
- 5-Day 4-Night - 5 Star Deluxe Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan - Private Tour
Things to do near Luxor
- Things to do in Safaga
- Things to do in Aswan
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Marsa Alam
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Abu Simbel
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera