Deir el-Medina (Valley of the Artisans)
Find well-preserved artwork in the Deir el-Medina tombs, which depict scenes from daily life in ancient Egypt—bright colors here make the tombs especially vivid. The other highlight of exploring Deir el-Medina is seeing the remains of the workers’ village, which offers a unique glimpse of the artisans’ desert community. Tours of Deir el-Medina often combine the site with trips to Valley of the Nobles and other West Bank destinations.
Things to know before you go
- The valley is a must for travelers interested in ancient Egyptian life.
- Bring plenty of sun protection, as there’s little shade here.
- If you’re visiting on your own, look for a small ticket office before you arrive at Deir el-Medina.
How to get there
Deir el-Medina is located on the West Bank of Luxor, close to the Valley of the Nobles. If you’re traveling to Deir el-Medina as part of a tour, transportation will be taken care of. Otherwise, it’s a 40-minute trip from downtown Luxor by taxi. Alternately, you can hop on the public ferry to Luxor’s West Bank and then continue by taxi.
When to get there
As temperatures tend to spike in the afternoon, morning is the best time to visit Deir el-Medina. Though the cooler winter months are high season in Luxor, Deir el-Medina is rarely crowded. During the heat of the summer, you’ll share the site’s tombs, ruins, and dusty foothills with even fewer visitors.
Visiting the Deir el-Medina Tombs
The worker tombs here were once crowned with mud-brick pyramids, but the interior art is the main draw now. To see brilliant paintings, check out the Tomb of Sennedjem, then head to the Tomb of Ipuy to find images of the deceased sculptor’s house and garden. Another favorite is the Tomb of Inherka, which shows homey family scenes in bright colors. Admission to Deir el-Medina includes entrance to three tombs, but photography tickets must be purchased separately.
- Things to do in Safaga
- Things to do in Aswan
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Marsa Alam
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Abu Simbel
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Valley of the Nobles (Tombs of the Nobles)
- Medinet Habu (Temple of Ramses III)
- Ramesseum (Mortuary Temple of Ramses II)
- Colossi of Memnon
- Temple of Hatshepsut (at Deir el-Bahari)
- Tomb of Ramses III
- Tomb of Ramses VI
- Valley of the Kings
- Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Tomb of Merneptah (Merenptah)
- Mummification Museum
- Luxor Museum
- Luxor Temple
- Avenue of Sphinxes
- Luxor Cruise Port