Avenue of Sphinxes
Two sections of the Avenue of Sphinxes are open to the public, as ongoing excavations uncover the remainder. At the southeastern end, the Avenue of Sphinxes is visible from inside Luxor Temple. The northwestern end of the Avenue of Sphinxes leads into the main entrance at Karnak Temple. Both Luxor Temple and Karnak Temple are key stops on many tours of the East Bank of the Nile.
Things to know before you go
- Great for history buffs.
- The portions of the Avenue of Sphinxes that are open have no shade, so bring plenty of sun protection.
- Visit in the evening to see the temples and Avenue of Sphinxes illuminated.
How to get there
Luxor Temple is located on the East Bank of the Nile River, at the intersection of the Nile corniche and Mabad al Karnak; a portion of the Avenue of Sphinxes is located on the north side of the complex. Karnak Temple is located on the same side of the river, off Sharia Maabad Al Karnak, with a portion of the Avenue of Sphinxes accessible from the south side of the building. Both sites can be visited on tours, with taxis, or using one of the horse-drawn carriages that ply the corniche.
When to get there
Powerful afternoon heat means it’s best to visit the Avenue of Sphinxes—and the adjacent temples—in the early morning hours. In the evening, however, the sphinxes and temples are atmospherically lit and the corniche enjoys cool breezes off the Nile River. It’s also possible to see Karnak Temple at night, as the site hosts a popular sound and light show that’s a favorite with families.
Top Attractions on East Bank in Luxor
Since crossing the Nile can cut into sightseeing time—it requires a boat trip or a long detour to the closest bridge—it’s worth visiting multiple sites on the East Bank of the Nile at one time. In addition to the Avenue of Sphinxes, Luxor Temple, and Karnak Temple, top destinations in this area include the Luxor Museum, the Nile Corniche, and the small Museum of Mummification.
- Things to do in Safaga
- Things to do in Aswan
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Marsa Alam
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Abu Simbel
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Luxor Temple
- Mummification Museum
- Luxor Museum
- Luxor Cruise Port
- Karnak Temple
- Colossi of Memnon
- Ramesseum (Mortuary Temple of Ramses II)
- Medinet Habu (Temple of Ramses III)
- Deir el-Medina (Valley of the Artisans)
- Temple of Hatshepsut (at Deir el-Bahari)
- Valley of the Nobles (Tombs of the Nobles)
- Tomb of Ramses III
- Tomb of Ramses VI
- Valley of the Kings
- Tomb of Tutankhamun