Read MoreShow Less
Set in an alpine valley at the foot of Titlis, Engelberg, the “Mountain of Angels,” is one of Central Switzerland’s most scenic villages. Founded in 1120 by Benedictine monks, Engelberg is renowned for its historic monastery and offers ample opportunities for outdoor activities.
A popular alternative to nearby Lucerne, Engelberg makes a strategic base camp for exploring the surrounding mountains. Cable cars run up to the summit station of Titlis mountain for the most impressive views, and a network of hiking trails run throughout the valley.
Day trips from Zurich to Lucerne often include a visit to Engelberg, where highlights include a tour of the Benedictine monastery, a visit to the Engelberg cheese factory, and a walking tour of the alpine town.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Engelberg’s small size makes it easy to get around the town on foot.
- Wear comfortable shoes and pack warm clothing, if you plan on exploring the mountains—the weather can be cool and windy, even in the summer.
- Attractions, including the Titlis cable car and Engelberg monastery, are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Engelberg is located just south of Lake Lucerne in Central Switzerland. Regular trains run direct from Lucerne, or you could drive a car for the short ride by road. The closest international airport is Zurich, via a train journey from Lucerne.
When to Get There
Engelberg features photo-worthy landscapes year-round, and although it’s quietest in spring and autumn, most accommodation and attractions stay open throughout. Head there in summer (July–September) to hike in the hills and enjoy water sports on the nearby lakes, or visit in winter (December–March) for skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing in the mountains.
Engelberg’s star attraction is Titlis, Central Switzerland’s highest mountain at 10,626 feet (3,239 meters), standing on its doorstep. Riding the Rotair cable car, a spectacular revolving cable car from Titlis Valley station that climbs 9,908 feet (3,020 meters), is the best way to scale the mighty peak. At the top, adventurous types can tackle the Cliff Walk, ride the Ice Flyer chairlift, go snow tubing, explore a glacier, or enjoy the incredible 360-degree views.
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Engelberg
No results found!
Things to do near Lucerne
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Grindelwald
- Things to do in Interlaken
- Things to do in Lauterbrunnen
- Things to do in Bern
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Neuchâtel
- Things to do in Crans-Montana
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Lake Geneva