Located in the heart of Hollywood, and just steps from major landmarks like the TCL Chinese Theatre and the Egyptian Theatre, the Hollywood Museum showcases a wide array of cinematic treasures. Collection highlights range from items once owned by Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland to Hannibal Lecter’s jail cell set from The Silence of the Lambs. The rooms where stars like Joan Crawford and Katharine Hepburn were once “done up” by the legendary makeup artist Max Factor are a particular must-see.
The Hollywood Museum is included in the cost-saving Go Los Angeles Card. It’s also easy to plan your own visit as part of a neighborhood tour—book tickets online before you visit to make logistics stress-free.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Max Factor Building, which dates to 1935 and is known for its art deco design, is a landmark in its own right: be sure to admire its exterior.
- Guided tours of the museum can be booked with two weeks’ notice.
- The museum is a popular destination for movie buffs, history lovers, and architecture enthusiasts.
- In addition to covering over 100 years of movie-making history, the museum also tells the history of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
How to Get There
The Hollywood Museum is located on N. Highland Avenue, just steps from Hollywood/Highland Station, served by the Metro Red Line. The landmark can also be reached via numerous bus lines, while ride-share services and taxis provide another way to travel.
When to Get There
The museum is open Wednesday–Sunday, from 10am–5pm. In addition to its permanent collection, it hosts a regular schedule of temporary exhibitions devoted to various Hollywood stars and films, so it’s worth planning repeat visits.
Nearby Hollywood Highlights Want to further immerse yourself in the neighborhood’s cinematic ambiance? Must-see highlights like the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Madame Tussauds Hollywood are just steps away from the Hollywood Museum. Famous movie theaters like the TCL Chinese Theatre, Egyptian Theatre, and El Capitan Theatre are also moments away, should you wish to attend a screening.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Hollywood
- Hollywood Wax Museum Los Angeles
- Hollywood Guinness World Records Museum
- El Capitan Theatre
- Egyptian Theatre
- Hollywood & Highland
- Dolby Theatre
- Hard Rock Café Hollywood
- TCL Chinese Theatre
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- The Magic Castle
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Runyon Canyon Park
- Capitol Records Building