Plaza San Martin
With vibrantly colorful colonial and neo-colonial buildings, the city’s main plaza has a lovely bygone ambiance. There’s the bright ochre Trujillo Cathedral and the deep royal blue Casa Urquiaga mansion. At the square’s center is the Freedom Monument, an artistic form of defiance. Set atop a granite base, the uppermost statue of a man with raised fist, serving as an enduring symbol Trujillo’s quest for liberation and independence.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for solo travelers, couples, families.
- While populated and lively at night, be aware of pickpockets and keep valuables hidden.
- Many of the city’s best hotels are located just off the square.
How to Get There
Plaza des Armas (also known as Plaza Mayor) in the center of the historic center of Trujillo, easily accessible by taxi and any number of public buses.
When to Get There
Plaza des Armas is popular among locals and tourists alike for strolling, people-watching, and relaxing. At night the buildings are bathed in romantic lights. Trujillo enjoys a subtropical desert climate, with a warm season (January to March), and a cooler season (June to November). Trujillo International Spring Festival takes place late September. One of Peru’s largest and most popular festivals, with horse shows, fashion shows, dance contests, and floats of flowers and beauty contestants.
Casa Urquiaga (Casa Calonge) On the southern side of Plaza de Armas, this striking royal blue colonial mansion offers a rare glimpse into Trujillo’s political and cultural history. Magnificently restored, the home is decorated with furniture from the 17th and 18th centuries, most notably, the desk of Simón Bolivar, the legendary leader who liberated much of Latin America from Spain. Don’t miss the collection of gold and ceramics from the Chimu and Moche empires, especially the gold Chavín necklaces.
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Andes
- San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)
- Cathedral of Lima (Catedral de Lima)
- Lima Plaza Mayor
- Historic Centre of Lima (Centro Historico de Lima)
- Municipal Palace (City Hall of Lima)
- Archbishop’s Palace of Lima
- Sanctuary of Las Nazarenas (Iglesia de las Nazarenas)
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- Presidential Palace
- Lima Art Museum (Museo de Arte de Lima - MALI)
- Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco)
- Love Park (Parque del Amor)
- Park of the Reserve (Parque de la Reserva)
- Magic Water Circuit
- Lima Cruise Port