Pantanos de Villa Wildlife Refuge
Spanning 650 acres (263 hectares), the refuge is a magnet for over 200 migratory birds. Depending on the season, birdwatchers may spy Black Skimmers, Herons, Andean Coots, Puna Ibis, Peruvian Pelicans, Great Grebes, or Neotropic Cormorants. Take a private guided walking tour to learn about the diverse creatures inhabiting this coastal stretch. Some tours include sightseeing excursions in Chorrillos, Lima’s historic center, and Barranco.
Recent reviews from experiences in Lima
Things to Know Before You Go
- Pantanos de Villa Wildlife Refuge is an ideal spot for nature lovers and birdwatchers.
- Admission is about US$2.50 for adults and US$1.25 for children.
- Bring binoculars to spot both feathery and scaly creatures.
- The refuge is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Pantanos de Villa Wildlife Refuge is located about 12 miles (19 kilometers) from downtown Lima in the coastal district of Chorrillos, immediately south of Barranco. Drive to the refuse or jump on the blue Metropolitano Bus marked Sur (South) and get off at the Chorrillos stop.
When to Get There
Pantanos de Villa Wildlife Refuge is open daily. Many of the birds at the reserve are migratory, so sightings change with the season. Vist in the summer (December through March) to enjoy the beaches, which are especially popular on sunny weekends. After a visit, hike up the hill to the adjacent Morro Solar to enjoy the sunset.
The low-key seaside district of Chorrillos is a lovely place to spend the day. Catch a wave at La Herradura Beach, or stroll the boardwalk along Agua Dulce Beach, admiring the colorful houses clinging to the hillsides. Enjoy a meal at any number of notable seafood restaurants, then hike (or drive) up Morro Solar where a large illuminated cross looks over the bay.
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Andes
- Pedro de Osma Museum (Museo Pedro de Osma)
- Mario Testino Museum (Museo Mario Testino MATE)
- Santiago de Surco
- Bridge of Sighs (Puente de los Suspiros)
- Dédalo Arte y Artesanía
- Larcomar (Centro Comercial Larcomar)
- Kennedy Park (Parque Kennedy)
- ChocoMuseo Miraflores
- Huaca Pucllana
- Indian Market (Mercado Indio)
- Mujica Gallo (Gold Museum)
- San Isidro
- Huaca Huallamarca (Pan de Azucar)