Lima Plaza Mayor
To understand the history of Peru and the City of Kings, a visit to Plaza Mayor is essential. Watch the changing of the guard, admire the architecture of the Government Palace, or simply sit on a bench and watch the world go by. Walking tours of Lima often leave from the square and visit the surrounding buildings. Take a bike tour or a private excursion to get a more comprehensive overview of Lima and Peruvian culture.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plaza Mayor is a must-visit for all first-time visitors to Lima.
The square is a great starting place to explore the city, as there are many important cultural attractions in and around the area.
The changing of the guard occurs daily at noon outside the Government Palace.
Many cafés and restaurants line the square—grab a drink or a meal and enjoy the people-watching.
The plaza and many of its surrounding attractions are accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
You can get to Plaza Mayor from just about anywhere in Lima. Hop aboard the El Metropolitano bus, which goes right into the city center. You can also take a number of regular city buses or the L1 metro line.
When to Get There
Lima's main square is open year-round and hosts a number of cultural events, festivals, and concerts, generally held on weekends. At the end of July you can catch the impressive military parade, part of Peru’s annual anniversary celebration.
Free Pisco in Plaza Mayor
If there is one day of the year that is the best time to visit Plaza Mayor, it’s National Pisco Day, on the first Saturday in February. This is a favored day around the country, as it celebrates the high-proof grape brandy that is Peru’s national drink. Lima celebrates it with vigor by serving free pisco throughout the day from the central fountain.
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Andes
- Historic Centre of Lima (Centro Historico de Lima)
- Cathedral of Lima (Catedral de Lima)
- Archbishop’s Palace of Lima
- Municipal Palace (City Hall of Lima)
- Presidential Palace
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)
- Plaza San Martin
- Sanctuary of Las Nazarenas (Iglesia de las Nazarenas)
- Lima Art Museum (Museo de Arte de Lima - MALI)
- Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco)
- Love Park (Parque del Amor)
- Park of the Reserve (Parque de la Reserva)
- Magic Water Circuit
- Lima Cruise Port