Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art (LAM)
Located on the edge of the city in a strikingly modern building complex, LaM displays upwards of 7,000 works, including pieces by Alexander Calder, Georges Braque, Fernand Léger, and other boundary-pushing modern artists. Walk its galleries to see a large array of contemporary art, as well as one of the biggest collections of “outsider art”—works made by self-taught artists—in the country. For savings, visit LaM as part of the Lille City Pass.
Things to Know Before You Go
LaM reopened after extensive renovations in 2010; architect Manuelle Gautrand designed its extension, which resembles etched, cream-colored boxes.
The museum is accessible to those with limited mobility, and wheelchairs can be reserved at the front desk.
Strollers are permitted in the museum.
The LaM Café is open during museum hours and serves hot drinks, savory entrees, and desserts.
The LaM bookstore is open during museum hours, with a break for lunch.
How to Get There
LaM is located on the eastern edge of Lille in the village of Villeneuve-d’Ascq. It's situated on the verdant Parc du Héron. By public transportation, take Metro line 1 to Pont de Bois and transfer to bus lines 6 or 32; or take Metro line 2 to Fort de Mons and transfer to bus line 6. By car, the 7-mile (12-kilometer) drive from Lille to the museum takes roughly 20 minutes on the N227 or N356.
When to Get There
The LaM is open Tuesday–Sunday, from midmorning to evening; it is closed each year on Jan. 1, May 1, and Dec. 25. In addition to its permanent collection, the museum also hosts temporary exhibitions, so it’s worth planning repeat visits. Its event schedule includes talks, guided gallery visits, late-opening nights, and more.
In addition to its indoor gallery areas, the LaM is also host to a sculpture park featuring works by artists the likes of Alexander Calder and Pablo Picasso. If the weather is fine, pair your museum visit with an outdoor wander—the park is open Tuesday–Sunday, from 9am–6pm.
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Reims
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Champagne
- Lille Old Town (Vieux Lille)
- Hospice Comtesse Museum (Musée de l'Hospice Comtesse)
- Grand Place
- Lille Museum of Fine Arts (Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille)
- Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art (LAM)
- Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle (Maison Natale de Charles de Gaulle)
- Lille Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille)