Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM)
With a convenient location in Kepong, about a 45-minute drive from the center of Kuala Lumpur, FRIM can be visited in just one day, making it an ideal attraction for travelers with limited time. Highlights include the towering timber trees along the Keruing nature trail and the giant arowana, a fish measuring more than 7 feet (2 meters) in length. You can also explore the park during day or night.
Things to Know Before You Go
FRIM is a must-visit for nature lovers.
A free fish spa is located at the entrance of the reserve.
The most accessible trails are the Keruing Trail and the Salleh Trail.
FRIM also has a campsite where you can stay overnight. Advance booking is required.
How to Get There
From Kuala Lumpur, you can hire a car and drive 30–45 minutes to the forest via Route 1, or take bus 152 from central Kuala Lumpur. Driving or taking a taxi is undoubtedly the best way to access the park, and also allows you to make a stop at the nearby Batu Caves.
When to Get There
FRIM is open from Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Guided tours can be arranged upon arrival.
The Crown Shyness
FRIM is home to a phenomenon found in only two other places in the world. The oddly named Crown Shyness refers to a mosaic-like pattern created by leaves when they “shy” away from one another and leave distinguishable gaps between the trees. The phenomenon can be observed by gazing upwards.
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Batu Caves
- Kuala Lumpur Bird Park (Taman Burung Kuala Lumpur))
- King's Palace (Istana Negara)
- Royal Selangor Visitor Centre
- Kuala Lumpur National Monument (Tugu Negara)
- Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park
- Perdana Botanical Garden (Lake Gardens)
- Templer Park
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building (Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad)
- Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka)
- Jalan Masjid India Night Market
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery
- Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
- Illusion 3D Art Museum
- Kuala Lumpur Tower (KL Tower)