Travelers will find plenty of fun in the sun at Chaweng Beach. Dive operators run tours from here, and there are a range of water sports to try, from windsurfing to water skiing. Plus, guided snorkeling tours of Koh Samui stop at Chaweng. This is also where you’ll find most of the island’s nightclubs and bars for those looking for action beyond the beach.
Dine right on the sand as the sun sets over the sea at its beachfront restaurants. Or grab ice cream, fruit, grilled sweet corn, and Thai papaya salad, along with jewelry and sarongs, from the army of vendors.
Things to know before you go
- Visit a small beach called Chaweng Noi, toward the southern end of Chaweng, if you’re looking for a quieter, less crowded alternative.
- Relax at one of the many massage stations that line Chaweng.
- Remember to pack sunscreen; it’s for sale in Koh Samui but it can be pricey.
- You can also get an aloe vera body wrap to alleviate sunburns at the massage stations.
How to get there
Chaweng Beach is located on Koh Samui’s east coast. You can grab a taxi from your hotel or, if you’re feeling adventurous, hop on a songthaew; it’s the Thai version of a bus that’s really a truck with a converted bed lined with seats. These vehicles run along routes but check with the driver before you pay since you can’t always trust the destination signage posted in the window.
When to get there
Chaweng Beach is Koh Samui’s most popular beach, so expect it to be packed with locals and tourists alike, especially during peak season (December, January, July, and August). Also, keep in mind that the busiest time for a beach massage is between 4 and 6pm, so you might want to book ahead.
Nearby Koh Tan
From Chaweng, you can book a scuba diving excursion to Koh Tan; most of the island’s dive shops are based in Chaweng. It takes about an hour to reach Koh Tan from Koh Samui via a high-speed boat. This sleepy island is geared more toward divers, kayakers, and snorkelers, as opposed to the party-goers in Koh Samui’s Chaweng.
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Khao Lak
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Kedah
- High Park Samui
- Lamai Beach
- Secret Buddha Garden (Magic Garden)
- Grandmother and Grandfather Rocks (Hin Yai/Hin Ta)
- Samui Water Park Pink Elephant
- Big Buddha Temple (Wat Phra Yai)
- Na Muang Waterfall
- Wat Khunaram (Mummified Monk)
- Butterfly Hill Samui
- Koh Tan (Koh Taen)
- Ang Thong National Marine Park
- Aow Leuk Beach