With three days in Kochi, you'll have plenty of time to visit colonial Fort Cochin, take a houseboat trip through Kerala's picturesque backwaters, and still have time left over to either explore the tea plantations of Munnar or the archaeological ruins of Pattanam.
Chinese Fishing Nets
Vasco da Gama Square, Fort Cochin
The Chinese Fishing Nets (called cheena vala in Malayalam) rank among the most iconic images of Kerala—a must-see for any first time visitor to Kochi. Just about every sightseeing tour of Kochi includes a stop at the nets, along with other popular points of interest like Fort Kochi Beach, the Dutch Palace, Church of Saint Francis, and the Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica.
Things to know before you go
- The Chinese Fishing Nets are a must-see for photographers and first-time visitors.
- Don’t forget your camera; this is one of Kerala’s most iconic photo ops.
- Be aware that the fishermen might ask for a donation for taking photographs up-close.
How to get there
The Chinese Fishing Nets line the sands north of Fort Cochin Beach and the town’s historic churches, off River Road.
When to get there
For the best views, come at dusk with your camera to capture that quintessential shot of Kerala’s fishing nets and calm seas backlit by the setting sun. Different nets operate at different times depending on the tide, but they tend to be most active at dawn and dusk.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Chinese Fishing Nets?
What else should I know about attractions in Kochi?
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Negombo
- Things to do in Southern Province