Military Museum and Cultural Center Command (Askeri Müze)
Originally opened in the Saint Irene Church (Hagia Irene) before being relocated to the site of the Ottoman Imperial Military Academy, the Military Museum presents 1000 years of Turkish military might. Turkey’s first president, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, studied here when it was a military college, and there is an exhibition room dedicated to his legacy. An Ottoman military band performs 20-minute concerts at 3pm and 4pm daily.
It’s easy to combine small-group and private tours that pass through Taksim Square with a visit to the Military Museum, which is located in the nearby neighborhood of Harbiye.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Military Museum is ideal for enthusiasts of military or World War I history.
Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be on your feet while exploring the museum.
Photography is allowed at the museum.
The museum is handicap accessible.
How to Get There
The Military Museum is in Istanbul’s Harbiye neighborhood, a 20-minute walk or short bus ride from Taksim Square. Take the metro to Taksim Square and walk to the museum, or take the tram to Kabatas, use the funicular to reach Taksim Square, and continue to walk from there. For maximum convenience, or if you’re staying outside of the Taksim area, grab a taxi.
When to Get There
The museum is open 9am to 4:30pm Wednesday through Sunday, and is closed on some Turkish and religious holidays. Best times to visit are for the afternoon janissary band concerts (although it can get crowded).
Notable Military Items
The Military Museum contains items from a wide swath of Turkish history. Be sure not to miss the chain the Byzantines used to block the Golden Horn from the invading Ottomans in 1453, large jewel-encrusted field tents used by sultans, myriad bows and arrows, and the large collection of Ottoman cannons. Upstairs, there are items from the Battle of Gallipoli on display.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Taksim Square (Taksim Meydani)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- Obelisk of Theodosius
- Yildiz Palace Museum (Yildiz Sarayi Müzesi)
- Bosphorus Bridge (Bogazici Koprusu)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)