Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)
The current Hippodrome traces the course of the ancient race track, though the actual remains are still underground. The square contains the Obelisk of Theodosius, a pink, Egyptian-made granite column that was brought to Istanbul in the fourth century and is one of the oldest monuments in the city. Also here are a spiralled obelisk that came from the temple of Apollo, the Walled Obelisk, and the German Fountain, a gift from Kaiser Wilhelm in the early 20th century.
Some small-group and private tours combine a visit to the Hippodrome with other sights in Sultanahmet, including the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and the Basilica Cistern.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Hippodrome is a must-visit for history buffs.
Wear comfortable shoes to stroll around the Hippodrome.
The Hippodrome is flat and handicap accessible.
How to Get There
The Hippodrome is in Istanbul’s bustling Sultanahmet neighborhood, between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia and close to Topkapi Palace. It is minutes away from the Sultanahmet tram stop and is also easily accessible by taxi. Parking is limited in the area, so driving is not recommended.
When to Get There
The Sultanahmet area and the Hippodrome can get very busy, so it’s best to arrive early in the day or after the main sights have closed. Weekends and sunny days during the peak season are the busiest. The Hippodrome is now a public square, so it is open every day, all day.
Archaeology at the Hippodrome
Much of the historical Hippodrome is still underground. It’s possible to see part of the original level of the racecourse at the base of the ancient obelisks that dot the square. Some of the Hippodrome’s original statues and seats have been uncovered over the years, and are now housed in the Istanbul Archaeology Museums.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)
- Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii)
- Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (Türk Islam Eserleri Müzesi Hizmete)
- Arasta Bazaar
- Sultanahmet District
- Serpent Column (Yilani Sütun)
- Great Palace Mosaic Museum
- Hagia Irene (Aya Irini)
- Istanbul Archaeological Museums (Istanbul Arkeoloji Muzeleri)
- Column of Constantine (Çemberlitaş Sütunu)
- Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque (Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Camii)
- Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Sarayi)
- Gülhane Park (Gülhane Parki)
- Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Kücük Ayasofya Camii)