Golden Horn (Haliç)
Istanbul’s historical prominence throughout many centuries is thanks partially to the Golden Horn, the natural protective harbor off of the Bosphorus Strait. Its military and economic benefits allowed empires to thrive. Today the vibrant neighborhoods along the Golden Horn draw visitors to their many museums, churches, synagogues, mosques, and other attractions.
Many private and small-group Istanbul city tours explore the areas around the Golden Horn and stop at the Chora Church (Kariye Museum), Miniaturk, the Walls of Constantinople, Pierre Loti Hill, and more. Sightseeing cruises abound as well—there are even rowing tours of the Golden Horn’s waters. Some tours provide round-trip transportation.
Recent reviews from experiences in Istanbul
Things to Know Before You Go
The Golden Horn area is a must-see for all first-time visitors to Istanbul, especially history buffs.
The green parks that line the banks of the Golden Horn are popular with locals.
Watch the light change at sunset from one of the Golden Horn’s atmospheric bridges.
How to Get There
The Golden Horn passes the transit hub of Eminonu Square and spans the length of the old city peninsula. The mouth of the Golden Horn is accessible by ferries, buses, and trams at Eminonu and Karakoy. The Halic metro stops directly over the Golden Horn.
When to Get There
Fener, Balat, Eyupm and other neighborhoods along the Golden Horn are popular with locals and travelers, and get crowded in the afternoon. Arrive earlier in the day to beat the crowds. Though museums close in the evening, come at night to get a sense of local life along the Golden Horn.
History Along the Golden Horn
The neighborhood of Fener contains the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and the striking Fener Greek Orthodox College—known locally as the Red School—as well as various churches that date to Byzantine times. Stroll farther up the Golden Horn to Balat, a traditionally Jewish neighborhood that still contains synagogues. Then continue on to Eyup, a bustling Muslim neighborhood known for the Eyup Sultan Mosque.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Camlica Hill (Camlica Tepesi)
- Kadikoy Market (Kallavi Kadiköy)
- Haydarpasa Railway Station (Haydarpasa Gari)
- Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayi)
- Bosphorus Bridge (Bogazici Koprusu)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)
- Yildiz Palace Museum (Yildiz Sarayi Müzesi)
- Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Sarayi)
- Hagia Irene (Aya Irini)
- Istanbul Archaeological Museums (Istanbul Arkeoloji Muzeleri)
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)
- Gülhane Park (Gülhane Parki)
- Great Palace Mosaic Museum
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)