The Beyoglu area has been inhabited for centuries and, historically, was home to many of the religious minorities in the Ottoman Empire; today, churches, synagogues, and mosques are still visible throughout the district. Private and small-group walking tours of Istanbul typically visit the Beyoglu district, including those that focus on food and Jewish heritage. Tours often stop at Istiklal Street, the Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi), the Istanbul Modern, the Museum of Turkish Jews, Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi), and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Beyoglu district is a must-visit for art, history, and architecture buffs.
Beyoglu comprises a large area, and it’s wise to wear comfortable shoes to explore it.
The area around Taksim Square is a center of nightlife and dining in Istanbul.
As with much of Istanbul, Beyoglu can be challenging for wheelchair users to navigate, due to hills, cobblestones, and stairs.
How to Get There
Beyoglu is one of the most well-connected areas in Istanbul, sitting at the fulcrum of metro, tram, ferry, and bus lines. Anywhere that's too far from a public transportation line is accessible by foot or by taxi.
When to Get There
Like much of Istanbul, Beyoglu is quiet in the morning hours all the way through lunch. This is the best time to explore the streets at a leisurely pace. By the afternoon, Beyoglu gets much busier, and in the evening the area buzzes with life spilling from its many cafés, bars, and restaurants.
The Different Neighborhoods of Beyoglu
Beyoglu is a sprawling district, and its many neighborhoods each have their own vibe. Galata, the area on the slopes around the Galata Tower, features local designer shops and jazz clubs; Cihangir attracts a young and artsy crowd to its galleries and cafés; and Istiklal Caddesi draws locals and tourists to its plethora of stores, notable restaurants, and throbbing nightclubs.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Aynalikavak Palace (Aynalikavak Kasri)
- Obelisk of Theodosius
- Rahmi M. Koc Museum (Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi)
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Fener District
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)