The last stop on the Asian side of the Bosphorus Strait, Anadolu Kavagi is a former fishing village that sits near the confluence of the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. Some say that the village historically served as a shelter for trade ships against storms, with sometimes as many as 300 ships stopping at a time.
Anadolu Kavagi may be best known for Yoros Castle, a medieval castle perched on a hill high above the village overlooking the Bosphorus. In an area originally settled by the Phoenicians and Greeks, the castle was built in Byzantine times and was later restored and reinforced multiple times by both the Genoese and the Ottomans. However, it fell into disrepair after the 18th century and only ruins remain today, including portions of the citadel and the surrounding walls.
Although the walk up Caferbaba Sokagi to the castle is a steep one, taking nearly half an hour, the views when you reach the top are well worth it. Visitors have long had unrestricted access to the ruins of Yoros Castle, which is a popular picnic destination for locals. However, archaeological excavations began in 2010 and may impede access to some extent.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Anadolu Kavagi?
- Turnatour Dinner Cruise On The Bosphorus with Traditional Show
- Istanbul Lunch Cruise - Extended Bosphorus Cruise up to the Black Sea
- True Discovery: Full Day Tour and Cruise of Istanbul
- Istanbul Lunch Cruise on Bosphorus and Black Sea
Things to do near Istanbul
- Things to do in Burgas
- Things to do in Nessebar
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Sliven
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast