Chachacual Bay is comprised of two idyllic beaches, Chachacual and La India. The easiest way to visit the bay is on a sightseeing cruise. Boat tours typically visit seven of Huatulco’s nine bays and include a stop at La India Beach for swimming and snorkeling. If you want to spend more time here, then it’s best to visit independently. Small fishing boats calledlanchas wait in the Santa Cruz harbor to shuttle passengers to Chachacual Bay.
Things to Know Before You Go
Chachacual Bay is a must-see for nature and wildlife lovers.
Remember to bring sunblock and a hat or sunglasses, as the beach offers little shade.
Plan to carry all your food, water, and supplies for the day, as there are no amenities here.
How to Get There
Chachacual Bay is not directly accessible by land, but a paved road ends about half a mile (one kilometer) from its shores and visitors can walk the hot stretch to this hidden bay. The easiest way to get here is by boat from Santa Cruz, and the ride takes about 15 minutes.
When to Get There
As with all of Huatulco, Chachacual Bay is lovely year-round. The bay receives just a handful of visitors, and there’s even a chance you’ll have it all to yourself. Mornings generally offer better conditions and calmer waters for swimming and snorkeling.
La India Beach
La India Beach sits on the eastern tip of Chachacual Bay. This sandy inlet is one of Huatulco’s most pristine beaches. It has soft white sand and calm blue-green water. Despite its noticeable lack of coral reefs, La India boasts a diverse and active community of brightly colored tropical fish, and it’s also home to sea turtles, rays, and other Pacific marine life.
- San Agustin Bay (Bahía San Agustín)
- Maguey Bay (Bahía Maguey)
- Finca La Gloria
- Playa La Entrega (La Entrega Bay)
- Santa Cruz Bay (Bahía Santa Cruz)
- La Crucecita
- Huatulco National Park (Parque Nacional Huatulco)
- Órgano Bay (Bahía Órgano)
- Tangolunda Bay (Bahía Tangolunda)
- Copalita River (Río Copalita)
- Copalita Ecological Park and Ruins (Parque Eco Arqueológico Copalita)
- Zipolite Beach (Playa Zipolite)
- Mexican Turtle Center (Centro Mexicano de la Tortuga)
- Cacaluta Bay (Bahia de Cacaluta)
- La Ventanilla