In a neighborhood as diverse as Montrose, there’s something for just about everyone. Art lovers won’t want to miss the excellent (and free) Menil Collection and nearby Rothko Chapel, or the collection of contemporary art at the Art League Houston. Focus your attention on the stretch of Westheimer running through the neighborhood, known for its collection of thrift and antique shops by day and its numerous watering holes by night. Many of Houston’s most talked-about restaurants are in Montrose, as well as numerous excellent independent coffee shops.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Montrose is a must-visit for art lovers, shoppers, foodies, and first time visitors.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as the neighborhood is one of Houston’s few walkable areas.
- Nearly all businesses in Montrose accept major credit cards.
How to Get There
Montrose is bounded by Allen Parkway to the north, Highway 59 to the south, Bagby Street to the east, and Shepherd Drive to the west. Parking can be difficult in the busy neighborhood, but you can get there by rideshare or by taking Bus 82 along Westheimer Road.
When to Get There
There’s no bad time to visit Montrose; it depends on what you’re interested in. Come during regular business hours to visit the area’s galleries, museums, and shops, and return at night for a taste of the eclectic nightlife.
Neighborhoods Near Montrose Some of Houston’s most interesting neighborhoods lie adjacent to Montrose. Head east, and you’ll find yourself in Midtown and Downtown, while Houston Heights, known for its Victorian mansions and mom-and-pop shops, is to the north. The upscale River Oaks neighborhood sits west of Montrose.
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Missouri
- Things to do in Tennessee