Tasman Bridge Tours and Activities
Towering over the Derwent River and dramatically illuminated at night, the Tasman Bridge has long been one of Hobart’s most memorable landmarks. Built in 1964, the five-lane bridge runs for 1.4km across the river, connecting the central business district with the eastern suburbs, and forming part of the long-distance Tasman Highway.
Despite its status as a city landmark, the Tasman Bridge is perhaps most notorious for its collision with the MV Lake Illawarra bulk carrier In 1975 – an accident that caused extensive damage to the bridge, the sinking of the ship and several fatalities, becoming known as the ‘Tasman Bridge Disaster’. Today, a memorial plaque honors the tragic victims, while the sunken vessel provides an unusual attraction for scuba divers.
Tours and Activities to Experience Tasman Bridge
Frequently Asked Questions
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Northern Territory