Market Square (Kauppatori)
Check off Market Square along with other top attractions on a comprehensive city tour, benefiting from the insights of a guide. Or, customize your itinerary on a hop-on hop-off bus tour, and browse the market’s stalls at your own pace. Time-limited travelers benefit from layover packages that include round-trip airport transfer, or can explore by boat to discover the harborside landmark along with other waterfront sights, such as Löyly sauna or Suomenlinna fortress.
Things to Know Before You Go
Market Square is a must-see for first-time visitors to Helsinki.
Don’t forget your coat in the cold months, though you can find refuge from the elements in one of the market’s heated café tents.
The step-free market is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The centrally located Market Square is easily accessed on foot, by boat, or by bus. About a 15-minute walk from Helsinki Central Station, the square is located close to the city’s major cruise terminals. Several local and hop-on hop-off buses stop nearby.
When to Get There
The market is open every day, except on Sundays during winter. Since 1743, the famous Baltic Herring Market has taken place each October, and typically includes live music, educational workshops, and rowing races.
Old Market Hall
Just a minute’s walk south of Market Square, shopping opportunities continue at the Old Market Hall, known for its local delicacies and grand facade. If you’re after a more modern retail experience, Helsinki’s main shopping malls are located east of Market Square, in the Kamppi and Kluuvi neighborhoods.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Helsinki City Hall (Kaupungintalo)
- Sederholm House (Sederholmin Talo)
- Helsinki City Museum
- Café Ursula
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)
- Flying Cinema Tour Of Helsinki
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Port of Helsinki
- Museum of Finnish Architecture
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Design Museum (Designmuseo)
- Helsinki Central Station
- Military Museum of Finland
- Amos Rex