Port of Helsinki
Shore excursions in Finland's capital range from private tours to hop-on hop-off bus tours covering the city's principal attractions and landmarks. Must-see highlights include Senate Square, Suomenlinna Sea Fortress (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), the National Museum of Finland, Seurasaari Open-Air Museum, the Old Market Hall, and Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Kirkko). Visitors can also explore this Nordic city independently, on foot, by bike, Segway, or tuk-tuk.
The medieval town of Porvoo is about an hour's drive outside of Helsinki proper and tours to this historic village typically provide round-trip transportation and a chance to learn about Finland's seagoing past.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Port of Helsinki has four docks: South Harbour, Katajanokka, West Harbour, and Hernesaari.
There are restrooms, public transportation links, and souvenir stores located on or near each of the four docks.
Some shore excursions include round-trip transportation for destinations farther afield.
The Baltic Sea separates Helsinki from Tallinn, Estonia, which is easily accessible and well worth a visit if time allows.
How to Get to Helsinki From the the Port of Helsinki
Cruise ships visiting Helsinki generally dock at the South or West Harbour, depending on ship size and cruise line. From the South Terminal, trams 1A, 3B, and 3T take visitors further inland, with both 3B and 3T making full loops around the center. Larger ships dock at the West Terminal, which is slightly farther away. From there, limited ferries run to and from Market Square (Kauppatori), or visitors can take a taxi.
At both the South and West terminals, travelers can find ATMs, luggage lockers, and currency exchange desks. The official languages are Finnish and Swedish, but English is commonly spoken throughout Helsinki. Finland’s currency is the euro, and credit cards are widely accepted.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Design Museum (Designmuseo)
- Museum of Finnish Architecture
- Helsinki Central Station
- Helsinki City Hall (Kaupungintalo)
- Market Square (Kauppatori)
- Café Ursula
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)
- Amos Rex
- Helsinki City Museum
- Sederholm House (Sederholmin Talo)
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Tennis Palace (Tennispalatsi)
- Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma