From craft beer tastings to scenic boat cruises, there’s plenty to do in Hamburg. Bike through different neighborhoods, see some street art, and venture out to the countryside—here’s how to spend three days in this northern German port city.
Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)
Go for a stroll in Hamburg’s Altstadt, or Old Town, to get a sense of the city’s history. See restored 18th-century homes along the Deichstrasse and charming old churches such as Saint Petri. The center of the Old Town is the Rathaus, or city hall, located on the old market square.
Rathausmarkt, Hamburg, 20095
The Hamburg Altstadt is a lovely neighborhood to explore on foot. Climb over bridges crossing canals, visit parklands, and see fine examples of the city’s architecture during a walk. Streets lead off the main square to the warehouse district of Speicherstadt on the river. Discover the elegant shopping arcades of Alsterarkaden and relax in its cafes. This neighborhood is a popular destination for city tours including walking tours and the hop-on hop-off bus.
Things to know before you go
- Hamburg Altstadt is a must-see attraction for history buffs, shopping enthusiasts, and travelers seeking out pretty cafes.
- Be prepared for cobbled streets by wearing sturdy shoes.
- The neighborhood is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Hamburg Altstadt is located on the right bank of the Alsterfleet canal, opposite the new town. It is easily accessible by public transportation; take the U-Bahn to the Rathaus station. Most visitors arrive on foot or as part of a guided tour; parking is limited.
When to get there
The most popular season to visit Hamburg is during the summer months. Travelers looking to avoid the crowds might want to plan a trip for the shoulder season months of spring and fall. While temperatures in winter are cold, many travelers arrive in Hamburg to see its Christmas Market and go shopping.
Highlights of the Old Town
While exploring Hamburg Alstadt on foot, there are several landmarks worth seeking out. In addition to City Hall and the Chamber of Commerce, check out the St. Nikolai War Memorial, the historic Hopfenmarkt, and Saint Catherine’s Church.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)?
What else should I know about attractions in Hamburg?
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- St. Peter's Church
- Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Warehouse District (Speicherstadt)
- Hamburg Dungeon
- Miniatur Wunderland
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Planten und Blomen Park