HafenCity, which translates to Port City, is an area in central Hamburg that used to be part of the free port. With the decrease in the importance of the free port, the area dominated by port activities has reduced in size. The city of Hamburg is now developing this area for mixed residential and commercial use. Many of the warehouses are being replaced by apartment buildings, office buildings, hotels and shops, and it is estimated that there will be approximately 6,000 new homes and 45,000 new jobs when it is all completed. At 388 acres, HafenCity is the largest inner city development project in Europe.
Aside from the commercial and residential buildings already finished and in use, the International Maritime Museum of Hamburg has moved into HafenCity. Another big project currently underway is the construction of the Elbphilharmonie Concert Hall, the home of Hamburg's philharmonic orchestra. HafenCity also encompasses the historical area of Speicherstadt, the largest warehouse complex in the world. Within Speicherstadt, you will find several museums and attractions, such as the Hamburg Dungeon, Miniatur Wunderland, and the Speicherstadt Museum. There are also plenty of shops, cafes and restaurants already open in HafenCity, as well as parks and recreational areas.
Tours and tickets to Experience HafenCity
What are HafenCity hours of operation?
Should I book HafenCity tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit HafenCity 2021?
What's the best way to experience HafenCity?
- Guided Hamburg City Bike Tour
- Private Guided Elbphilharmonie Plaza Tour
- Guided Walking Tour in Hamburg: HafenCity, Speicherstadt and Elbe Philharmonic Hall
- City tour through Hamburg
Things to do near Hamburg
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Schonefeld
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Cologne
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in Dresden
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland