La Aurora Zoo (Zoólogico la Aurora)
La Aurora Zoo is divided into three main areas: the African Region (lions, giraffes, zebras), the Asian Region (a reticulated python, elephants, bears), and the South American Region (the largest mammal of Guatemala, the tapir, and the world's smallest monkey, the marmoset, and some crocodiles). There’s also a farm section where you'll see sheep, pigs, donkeys, and goats. Save time by booking your tickets to La Aurora Zoo in advance. This is an especially smart plan if you are visiting the attraction during an airport layover.
Things to Know Before You Go
- La Aurora zoo is an ideal spot for animal lovers and families with kids.
- A picnic area is equipped with tables and chairs for rest and refreshments.
- Take the kids to Esquilandia, a special theme park with food stalls within the zoo.
- The zoo is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
La Aurora Zoo is located on Boulevard Liberación next to La Aurora International Airport in Guatemala City, about 3 miles (4 kilometers) from the city’s historic center. From there, a taxi ride takes about 30 minutes. Public buses 40R, 63 and 83 stop around the corner from the entrance. The closestxa0 Transmetro stop is Los Arcos.
When to Get There
La Aurora Zoo is open year-round, Tuesday to Sunday from the morning until the afternoon. Come in the early hours to help feed the animals. Beat the crowds by visiting on a weekday. Pleasant weather makes Guatemala City a nice place to visit any time of the year. Peak season coincides with the drier season, from November to May.
National Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology Just a few minute’s walk from the La Aurora Zoo, this museum exhibits archaeological and ethnological objects relevant to Guatemala’s history and culture. Located at the Finca La Aurora this museum was created back in 1898 but it wasn’t established in its current building until 1946. This small but well-conserved museum has a stunning collection of around 20,000 archaeological relics along with 5,000 ethnological objects.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in The Cayes