Some choose to visit Provand’s Lordship—a rare example of medieval Glaswegian architecture and Glasgow’s oldest house—as part of private guided day tours, while others opt to explore the recreated rooms independently. Adjacent to the property is the tranquil St. Nicholas Garden, a herb garden where medicinal plants that would have been used in the 15th-century Scotland grow. The museum is also a stop on some hop-on hop-off tour-bus routes of Glasgow.
Things to Know Before You Go
Provand’s Lordship is a must-see for history buffs.
Although the house itself doesn’t have a café, you’ll find one at the St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, just across the street.
The ground floor of Provand’s Lordship is wheelchair accessible. The upper floors—accessible only via a steep, uneven set of stairs—are not.
How to Get There
Provand’s Lordship is situated on Castle Street, just a short walk from Glasgow’s Buchanan and Argyle streets. The nearest train station is High Street, which is a 5-minute walk away. First Bus routes 19, 19A, 38, 57, and 57A all stop near Provand’s Lordship.
When to Get There
Provand’s Lordship is open Tuesday through Sunday, year-round. Peak visiting hours are between noon and 2pm, so arrive early in the morning or later in the afternoon for a quieter, less-crowded experience.
Glasgow’s Other Medieval Gems
Glasgow Cathedral, another of Glasgow’s remaining medieval structures, is just a short stroll from Provand’s Lordship; the Gothic-style building was the only cathedral on the Scottish mainland to survive the Reformation. The National Trust–owned Provan Hall, a fortified country estate that dates back as far as the 15th century, is about 5 miles (8 kilometers) east of Provand’s Lordship; meanwhile, Crookston Castle, Glasgow’s only surviving medieval castle, is located about 7 miles (11 kilometers) away.
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England
- St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art
- Glasgow Cathedral
- Merchant City
- George Square
- Glasgow Cruise Port (Greenock Ocean Terminal)
- Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
- Buchanan Street
- The Lighthouse
- People's Palace & Winter Gardens
- Tenement House
- The Hunterian (Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery)
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Glasgow Science Centre
- Glasgow West End
- Burrell Collection