Spianada (Esplanade) Tours and Activities
Also known as the Esplanade, the Spianada is the largest town square in Greece, located in Corfu Town on the island of Corfu. Located in front of the Old Fortress, its construction dates back to the French occupation during the Napoleonic Wars. It is one of the most popular tourist sites in the city, as well as the liveliest part of Corfu Town, reflecting the history of the island with a mix of Venetian, French, British and Greek buildings. At one end of the Spianada stands the Royal Palace of Corfu (also called the Palace of St. Michael and St. George), which today houses the Museum of Asian Art. In front of the palace stands a bronze statue of Lord Frederick Adam, an English Commissioner who did important technical work for the city.
On the southern tip of the square you can see the Peristyle of Maitland, a circular monument in honor of the first English Commissioner Thomas Maitland in early 1800s. In front of the iron bridge leading to the Old Fortress is a statue of the German Marshall Schulenberg, who defended the city against the Turks in 1716. Notable for its many colonnades, the Venetian citadel known as the Liston runs along the edge of the square facing the old town.
Interestingly, a cricket court also takes up a significant part of the Spianada as cricket was made popular during British rule in the early 19th century.