As a focal point of the city, people gather in front of the Municipal Palace all throughout the day, with families camping out on park benches enjoying ice-cream cones. At night, its facade is illuminated with romantic golden lights. Travelers may experience Paseo de las Musas as part of a half-day, full-day, private or group tour that includes the town’s most fascinating sites like the Chiclayo Cathedral (Catedral de Chiclayo), Paseo de las Musas, and the Witch Market where a treasure-trove of traditional herbs and healing remedies are for sale.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for solo travelers, couples, families.
- Many of the city’s best hotels are located just off the square.
- Tours may include roundtrip hotel transport, entrance fees, and a professional guide. Check specific tours for details.
- Remember comfortable walking shoes and sun protection.
How to Get There
Chiclayo is the capital of the Lambayeque Department and a three-hour express bus ride north from Trujillo. The city’s Municipal Palace is located in the center of Chiclayo, one block from the main park, an easy walk from the city’s top attractions and hotels. Local taxis are also plentiful.
When to Get There
Municipal Palace is open 6:30am - 1:00pm; 3:00pm - 6:00pm. Go at night when it’s illuminated in a golden glow. Chiclayo’s weather is temperate year-round, with the warmest months being January through March. Come in June for a festival honoring San Pedro and San Pablo, the patron saints of fishermen and farmers; and in August when locals hike to Motupe, a highland village to mark Cruz de Chalpon with dancing, fireworks and music.
Paseo de las Musas Take a stroll just around the corner to Paseo de las Musas, a lovely pedestrian thoroughfare festooned with manicured floral arrangements, welcoming plazas, and a striking monument with nine statues of ancient muses from Greek mythology and four towering white columns. Soak up Chiclayo’s friendly atmosphere and enjoy a picnic in the grassy, shaded promenade.
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Lima
- Things to do in Quito
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Iquitos
- Things to do in Nueva Loja
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Parque Principal (Plaza de Armas)
- Batán Grande (Sicán Archaeological Complex)
- Witch's Market (Mercado de las Brujas)
- Pómac Forest Historic Sanctuary
- Paseo de las Musas
- Chiclayo Cathedral (Iglesia Santa Maria)
- Royal Tombs of Sipan Museum
- Brüning National Archaeological Museum
- Sicán National Museum
- Túcume (Valley of the Pyramids)
- Huaca Rajada (Sipán)