Huaca Rajada (Sipán)
Many of the larger artifacts and displays have been moved to Chiclayo museums (most notably, the Royal Tombs Museum of Sipán and the Brüning National Archaeological Museum). However, Huaca Rajada (“Cracked Pyramid”) features on-going excavations as well as fascinating recreations of the tomb, showing the extravagant headdresses and jewelry, and the remains of a priest, a child, a llama, two dogs, three concubines and a guard who was buried without feet.xa0
Enjoy Huaca Rajada as part of a larger exploration of the ancient cultures of the area. Most day tours include guided excursions to the Royal Tombs Museum of Sipán and Túcume (Valley of the Pyramids), the 8th-century site encompassing dozens of mounds and pyramids once belonging to the Sicán culture. If you have more time, take a multi-day tour that goes from Chiclayo to Trujillo and tacks on a visit to the former Chimú capital of Chan Chan, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Huaca Rajada is an ideal spot for history and archaeology buffs.
- There is a small entrance fee.
- The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Huaca Rajada is located close to the city of Sipán, which is about 20 minutes from downtown Chiclayo.
When to Get There
The site is open Monday through Friday, from morning to evening. Chiclayo’s dry season runs from May to September, while the rainy season runs from December to March. Come to the area in June for a festival honoring San Pedro and San Pablo, the patron saints of fishermen and farmers; and in August when locals dance, throw fireworks, and hike to a highland village to mark Cruz de Chalpon.
Royal Tombs Museum of Sipán You’ll want to combine a visit to this wonderful museum, whose striking pyramid-shaped structure mimics the ancient Moche tomb of the Lord of Sipán, as it was found at Huaca Rajada. Inside are most of the riches found—the ancient remains, artifacts and treasures of the “King Tut of Peru,” including dazzling gold and silver and jeweled headdresses and armored plates.
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Lima
- Things to do in Quito
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Iquitos
- Things to do in Nueva Loja
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Sicán National Museum
- Municipal Palace
- Parque Principal (Plaza de Armas)
- Batán Grande (Sicán Archaeological Complex)
- Paseo de las Musas
- Chiclayo Cathedral (Iglesia Santa Maria)
- Witch's Market (Mercado de las Brujas)
- Pómac Forest Historic Sanctuary
- Túcume (Valley of the Pyramids)
- Royal Tombs of Sipan Museum
- Brüning National Archaeological Museum