The memorial includes a giant 115-foot (35-meter) chariot with a stone effigy of Thiruvalluvar within and an auditorium that seats 4,000 people. A bas-relief in the front hall corridors contains inscriptions of all 1,330 couplets from the poets’ famous work, and the massive auditorium structure is said to have been built from more than 3,000 blocks of stone without any visible support pillars. Although it’s a bit off the beaten path, some city tours do offer stops here.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Valluvar Kottam is a must-visit for those interested in art and design.
- As much of the memorial is outside, make sure to wear sun (or rain) protection.
- There are occasionally special events and exhibits at the memorial; check with your guide for up-to-date details.
How to Get There
The memorial is open every day except for Friday, during daylight hours. It doesn’t get a lot of crowds, but mornings are always best for a visit if you want to avoid the heat of the day. If your visit to Chennai corresponds with the monsoon season (late June through September), you may find it too rainy to visit.
When to Get There
Valluvar Kottam is situated just south of Independence Day Park, between Valluvar Kottam High Road and Lake Area Main Road. It's easiest to get to by taxi or as part of a tour, although travelers relying on public transportation can take the metro to the Thousand Lights station and then walk for around 30 minutes to the monument.
Things to do near Valluvar Kottam There are a few noteworthy, if off-the-beaten-path, attractions near Valluvar Kotta. About a 15-minute walk away, sits Semmozhi Poonga, a botanical garden featuring more than 500 species of plants, many of which are rare. A little further up the road, in the Egmore neighborhood, the Government Museum is home to a wide collection of archaeological finds. Valluvar Kottam is also within a 15-minute drive of the Mylapore neighborhood, home to the San Thome Cathedral and the Kapaleeshwar Temple.
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka