St. Andrew’s Church (The Kirk)
While this active church's exteriors are certainly impressive, it's worth going inside to check out the towering Corinthian columns and stained glass windows, not to mention its deep-blue interior dome, which gets its color from a mix of crushed seashells and lapis lazuli stone. The church also houses a large pipe organ that was built in England and installed in 1883.
Things to Know Before You Go
The church is a must-visit for architecture and history buffs.
Out of respect for local traditions, dress modestly, with shoulders and knees covered.
Avoid taking photos or wandering around the church if you visit during a service.
How to Get There
The Kirk is located on Poonamallee High Road in the Egmore neighborhood. It's easy to reach via public transportation, and it's just behind the Egmore Railway Station. The Egmore metro stop is less than 10 minutes away on foot. If you’re coming from Mylapore, taking a taxi or auto rickshaw is the easiest option; the journey takes about 15 minutes, traffic permitting.
When to Get There
The church is open Monday through Saturday from 10am to 5pm, and if you’re most interested in seeing the interiors without participating in a service, it’s best to visit during these hours. Worship services are held Sunday at 7am, 9am, and 6pm, as well as on Christian holidays.
Saint Andrew and Scotland
Saint Andrew was a Christian apostle and the brother of Saint Peter. He's particularly revered in European Orthodox traditions and is the patron saint of numerous countries, including Scotland. In fact, the Scottish flag bears the saltire, or Cross of Saint Andrew; the story goes that the saint was crucified on an x-style cross.
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka
- 3 Days in Chennai: Suggested Itineraries
- Temples and Churches of Chennai
- Eating in Chennai
- Family Friendly
- Kollywood: Cinema in Chennai
- How to Spend 2 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 1 Day in Chennai
- How to Spend 3 Days in Chennai
- Top Temples and Churches in Chennai
- Kollywood: Tamil Cinema in Chennai
- Food Lover's Guide to Chennai