San Thome Cathedral
Saint Thomas the Apostle, or ‘Doubting Thomas,’ as he was later called, came to India in 52 AD where he purportedly lived out the remainder of his days. The 16th century Sao Thome Cathedral, built by the Roman Catholic Portuguese and later rebuilt by the British, is said to house the bodily remains of St Thomas in a tomb below the white neo-Gothic structure.
A series of stained glass windows inside the basilica depict scenes from St Thomas’s life and carved wooden panels recount the last days of Jesus’s life from his last temptation to the crucifixion. As a working cathedral, visitors are welcome to stop in for mass (in both English and Tamil), though the church draws larger crowds for mass.
After visiting the main cathedral, view the tomb of St Thomas in the underground Tomb Chapel, accessible from outside the main church structure. Another structure on the grounds houses a small museum containing artifacts related to St Thomas and a theater showing a video about his life.
San Thome Cathedral Tours
Should I book San Thome Cathedral tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit San Thome Cathedral 2021?
What's the best way to experience San Thome Cathedral?
- Peacock Trail Walking Tour in Mylapore
- Chennai Shore Excursion - Full Day Private Chennai City Tour
- Private Custom Tour: Chennai Sightseeing with Guide
- Mylapore Heritage Walking Tour with Breakfast
Things to do near Chennai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Hyderabad
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka