The detailing makes the temple exterior busy to the point where you don't quite know where to rest your eyes, but the structure is quite photogenic. You're likely to see many more devotees than tourists at the temple, so you'll get a realistic insight into what modern temple worship looks like, particularly during the weekly Friday worship services. Many sightseeing tours of Chennai and walking tours of the Mylapore neighborhood stop at Kapaleeshwar and going with a guide can be useful if you want to learn about the temple’s significance and history.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Kapaleeshwar Temple is a must-visit for architecture fans and anyone interested in Hinduism.
- Remember to dress modestly and remove your shoes before entering.
- The temple is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The temple is located in the Mylapore neighborhood of Chennai, about a 15-minute drive south of Georgetown or a 10-minute walk inland from the San Thome Cathedral. It’s easy to access by public transportation and getting to the temple takes only around five minutes on foot from the Thirumayilai Railway Station.
When to Get There
To avoid the crowds, show up first thing in the morning when the temple first opens. If you want to see the temple at its most festive, plan your trip to coincide with the Arupathumoovar Festival in early March. Note that the temple closes for a few hours in the middle of the day. Friday is generally the busiest day.
Mylapore Highlights Most visitors to the temple end up devoting some time to exploring Mylapore while they’re in the neighborhood. The most popular attraction outside of Kapaleeshwar is the 16th-century San Thome Cathedral, which honors St. Thomas the Apostle, and the Church of Our Lady of Light, AKA the Luz Church, which was built during the same era.
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka