Government Museum is a bit of a misnomer, as the complex of 6 structures and 46 galleries houses Chennai’s best collection of scientific and artistic artifacts. This includes the most impressive collection of Pallava and Chola bronze sculptures (dating back to the 10th and 13th centuries) anywhere in the world. The Chola Nataraj depicts the god Shiva dancing in a circle of cosmic fire. Some of the displays and informational placards are a bit dated, but for those with even a mild interest in Indian art, the Government museum is certainly worth a stop.
Come in the morning when the museum opens to avoid the tour bus crowds. Take some time to walk the grounds and take in the detail of the structures themselves, particularly the recently renovated Museum Theatre. Several sculptures and old cannons can be found scattered between and around the main buildings. If you time your visit right, you can catch a performance in the Museum Theatre.
Tours and tickets to Experience Government Museum
What are Government Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Government Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Government Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Government Museum?
- Chennai City Sightseeing Tour
- Chennai Shore Excursion - Full Day Private Chennai City Tour
- India Tour Packages from Chennai to Delhi in 24 Days
- India Tour from Chennai to Mumbai in 34 Days
Things to do near Chennai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Munnar
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Hyderabad
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka