Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia)
Because of its unique aesthetic, Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia) is a feature of several Cartagena sightseeing tours—navigate the city by Segway or open-air trolley, or explore on foot during a walking tour for a more intimate glimpse into the UNESCO-listed Old Town. Unless you have tickets to a performance, you can only access the interior of the theatre on a tour, which can be arranged via the theatre website; inside, you’ll see a glorious ceiling fresco painted by Colombian artist, Enrique Grau.
Things to know before you go
- Air-conditioning inside the theatre means that it gets chilly if you’re sitting for extended stints; take a jacket if you’ve secured tickets for a performance.
- The theatre caters to visitors using wheelchairs and strollers by providing accessible seating.
- There are plenty of restrooms inside the theatre.
How to get there
Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia) is located in Plaza de la Merced in the heart of the UNESCO-listed Old Town. The Old Town is best explored on foot or by trolley or Segway as part of a tour, which saves you the hassle of navigation.
When to get there
Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia) is open from Monday to Saturday from early morning until early evening. Different productions have different start and running times. Every year at the beginning of January, the theatre hosts the Classical Music Festival of Cartagena. The theatre also hosts plenty of events during the Hay literature festival, which usually occurs at the end of January.
Exploring Plaza de la Merced
Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia) boasts a prime location near some of Cartagena’s top historical attractions. Within walking distance of the theatre, you’ll find the former home of legendary author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez; the Palace of the Inquisition Museum, which exhibits torture devices and traces the story of the Spanish Inquisition; and Plaza Santo Domingo, famous for a larger-than-life statue designed by Colombia sculptor Fernando Botero.
- Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
- Palace of Inquisition (Palacio de la Inquisicion)
- Bolivar Square (Plaza Bolivar)
- Gold Museum (Museo de Oro Zenu)
- Cartagena Cruise Port
- Plaza de San Diego
- Naval Museum of the Caribbean
- Cathedral of San Pedro Claver (Iglesia de San Pedro Claver)
- Cartagena Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena)
- Las Bovedas
- Old Town Cartagena
- La India Catalina Monument
- Rafael Nuñez House Museum
- San Felipe de Barajas Castle (Castillo San Felipe de Barajas)
- Old Shoes Monument (Los Zapatos Viejos)