Cartagena Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno de Cartagena)
Wander through Plaza San Pedro Claver, in front of the museum, to see whimsical sculptures made from spare parts before entering this small museum. The galleries have a special focus on Cartagena native Alejandro Obregon, a Colombian expressionist painter, and Enrique Garu, a sculptor known for his Afro-Caribbean influences. Several city tours include a peek at this modern art museum including Cartagena Old Town walking tours and treasure hunt tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Cartagena Museum of Modern Art is a must-see attraction for art lovers and families seeking educational experiences.
- The air-conditioned interiors provide a cool place to explore on a hot day.
- With cobbled streets and lots of steps, Cartagena Old Town is not easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Located in Cartagena’s walled Old City, the Cartagena Museum of Modern Art is fronted by Plaza San Pedro Claver. It is a short stroll from several other popular landmarks including the Museum of Colombian Naval History and the San Pedro Claver church. Most visitors arrive on foot and explore the Old City by walking. Taxis are also available.
When to Get There
This museum is open daily, but hours vary depending on the day of the week with limited hours on the weekend and mid-day closings on weekdays. Travelers looking to avoid the rainy season will want to avoid the months of April to May and September to November.
Beyond the Exhibitions
The Cartagena Museum of Modern Art is known for its programming beyond its exhibitions. Check out the museum’s online calendar for details on movie screenings, classes, and workshops.
- Cathedral of San Pedro Claver (Iglesia de San Pedro Claver)
- Naval Museum of the Caribbean
- Cartagena Cruise Port
- Gold Museum (Museo de Oro Zenu)
- Bolivar Square (Plaza Bolivar)
- Palace of Inquisition (Palacio de la Inquisicion)
- Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
- Teatro Adolfo Mejia (Teatro Heredia)
- Plaza de San Diego
- La India Catalina Monument
- Old Town Cartagena
- Las Bovedas
- San Felipe de Barajas Castle (Castillo San Felipe de Barajas)
- Rafael Nuñez House Museum
- Old Shoes Monument (Los Zapatos Viejos)