One of Cardiff’s most striking landmarks and one of only two Catholic cathedrals in the city, Llandaff Cathedral (known as Eglwys Gadeiriol Llandaff in Welsh) was built in the 12th century and beautifully restored to its former glory in the 19th century before undergoing further restoration work in 1958. Despite a harrowing history including being overrun by Parliamentarian troops during the English Civil War, narrowing escaping bombing in the Second World war, and even being stuck by lightening, the Llandaff Cathedral still stands proud in the city center as one of the city’s most impressive religious buildings.
The cathedral, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was built on the site of a former church, denoted by the ancient pre-Norman era Celtic cross and statue of St. Teilo, the Welsh Saint who founded the original church, still displayed in the grounds. A stroll through the cathedral grounds affords views of the undeniably pretty building, but the interiors are just as impressive, featuring a dramatic statue of Christ by the sculptor Epstein. Impressive acoustics have made it a popular venue for choral music and the cathedral’s traditional Anglican choir is well renowned, giving regular performances and producing CDs of their recorded concerts that are sold in the cathedral gift shop.
Llandaff Cathedral Tours and Activities
Should I book Llandaff Cathedral tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Llandaff Cathedral 2021?
What's the best way to experience Llandaff Cathedral?
- Private Tour: Doctor Who TV Locations and Tour of Cardiff
- Private Doctor Who Tour of Cardiff and South Wales
- The Ghosts of Llandaff: Stalk the grounds of Llandaff Cathedral on an audio tour
- Cardiff City Tour
Things to do near Cardiff
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in North West England